CMLA has been developed by leading industry participants motivated to enable a vibrant ecosystem for the distribution of content that required robust protection. The funding for this development has come from the founders of CMLA. The fee structure was developed through collaboration with a large number of potential adopters. The full fee structure can be found in each agreement e.g. CAA Exhibit C and SPA Exhibit C.
CMLA has established it fees with the following guiding principles:
- Recovery of developmental and operational costs.
- Equitable balancing of fees across the user categories (client manufacturers, service providers, content participants, broadcasters, and developers) of the CMLA ecosystem.
- Acknowledged desirability of fees reductions over time as the system becomes widely used in order to minimize the cost to users.
Adequately fund the operations of CMLA through its fees to adequately maintain an effective system to cover the cost of:
- advancing technology
- execution of all legal and arbitration obligations
- geographic expansion
- and other possible business contingencies